The principal mosque of the Agra Fort Complex, Jami Mosque was completed in 1648 by Jahanara, the elder daughter of Shah Jahan. It is raised upon a platform on the northwestern side of the Fort. The Mosque is of red sandstone highlighted with white marble. The plan features a large square courtyard enclosed by three narrow arcades and a prayer hall. Axial gates punctuate the three arcade wings. The prayer hall is topped by three domes decorated with a zigzag pattern, and flanked by two tall, domed minarets. The eastern wing, destroyed by the British during the Indian Mutiny in 1857, is replaced by a railway line that separates the Mosque from the Delhi gate of the Fort Complex.