The Yesil Cami is part of a large complex built by Sultan Mehmet and completed in 1420. The complex is one of the last in a series or royal mosque complexes in Bursa starting with the Orhaniya in the fourteenth century and ending with the Muradiye completed in 1447. The complex includes a mosque, madrassa, bath house, soup kitchen and the tomb of Mehmet.
The mosque is built in the Bursa T-plan style which is based on the four-iwan plan of Seljuk madrassas. In Bursa mosques the entrance iwan becomes reduced to a small entrance vestibule leaving a T-shaped building with a central court-yard flanked by side rooms (iwans) and with a large prayer hall in front. The central courtyard is covered with a dome which has an oculus, or round hole, in the roof to let in light and air. In most of the Bursa T-plan mosques the entrance is preceded by a three- or five-domed portico, which is a feature borrowed from the usual Ottoman single-domed mosque. In the Yesil Cami, however, the portico is missing as Mehmet died before this could be added. The entrance facade of the mosque contains eight windows, one pair either side of the door on the ground floor and four on the upper floor. Each of the ground-floor windows consists of a rectangular grilled opening inset into a richly carved arched frame which itself is set into a recessed panel. Between each pair of windows there is a deeply recessed minbar with a muqarnas hood. The upper windows are set into rectangular panels and are entirely open except for a low carved balustrade. Only the two central windows are real; the other two serve no purpose except to balance the composition of the facade. The entrance opens into a small vestibule from which stairs lead up to the celebrated royal gallery. On the ground floor the vestibule opens into the domed central courtyard which is flanked on either side by small domed alcoves. To the south of the courtyard under a large arch is the domed prayer hall with its magnificent muqarnas hooded mihrab surrounded by a tilework frame.
The most noticeable feature of the interior is the extensive use of polychrome glazed tiles. Until the seventeenth century the outer surface of the domes were covered in green tiles giving the mosque its name. The tiles carry a variety of patterns including flowers, calligraphic inscriptions, geometric interlace as well as motifs executed in three dimensions like the tile bosses in the royal gallery. The tilework of the mosque is reproduced in Mehmet's tomb, which is located on a hill above the mosque.