Located on a fertile plain, Marrakesh is one of Morocco's four imperial cities. Founded in eleventh-century as the African capital of Almoravid dynasty; it was conquered by the Almohads in 1147, and then to Marinids, only to be taken by the French in 1912.
Marrakesh was founded in 1062 by Yusif Ben Tashfin, the first ruler of the Almoravid dynasty. His son, Ali, built the Ben Yussef Mosque and the city wall. The Almohads (1146-1268) made Marrakesh the capital of their empire and it was during this period that the Koutoubia was built.
The Marinids (1268-1520) neglected Marrakesh but they were succeeded by the Saadians (1520-1668) who endowed the city with the Badi' palace, the Ben-Yussef madrasa and the Saadian mausoleum.
From 1668 onwards, the Alawites, who resided in Marrakesh only occasionally, erected numerous buildings such as the palace of Bahia and Dar Si Saod at the end of the nineteenth-century. Later, the modern town was to develop three kilometres from the Medina, with its wide avenues bordered with palm-trees, orange-trees and jacarandas.
When first created in the 11th century, Marrakesh was a link on the caravan route that joins the south and the north of Morocco by way of the valleys up the Upper Atlas. Routes from the Tafilelt region and the Draa valley also converged on Marrakesh. Later, as the capital of the Almoravid and subsequently the Almohad empires (eleventh and thirteenth centuries), it became the seat of the unique authority ruling the entire Muslim West, including Andalusia.
At that time, Marrakesh was a large metropolis, housing probably up to 100,000 inhabitants.
Between the thirteenth and early sixteenth centuries, Marrakesh experienced a period of decline due to the displacement further east (in Algeria, Tunisia and particularly Egypt) of roads used to transport African gold, and the relocation of Morocco's capital to Fez. During the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, under the Saadians, Marrakesh was revived and flourished thanks to the gold trade, and the conquest of Tombouctou by the Saadians.
The project is situated in the military quarter of Marrakech to the west of the city. Located on the hospital grounds, the mosque was envisaged to be used by both patients and medical staff. The building was designed to include a garden in order to create a separation between the mosque and the hospital public grounds. The overall structure, rectangular in plan consists of a central planted courtyard with a fountain for ablutions, a second court with access to the ablution rooms, and the prayer hall, which is based on a square plan with four columns. The prayer hall is surmounted by a central cupola which appears externally as a pyramidal roof. A generous, arcaded porch overlooks a pool on the north side of the prayer hall. Decoration is kept to a minimum, both internally and externally. The mosque is constructed of granite foundations and bearing walls. The inner court perimeter walls are of pisé stabilized with lime, interior arcades are made from baked bricks. And the ceilings are built using a traditional Tatoui technique (eucaplyptus and laurel branches).