Established by Khedive Tawfiq in 1881 as a body within the Ministry of Endowments, Comité de Conservation des Monuments de l'Art Arabe inventoried and restored many Islamic and Coptic monuments in Egypt. In 1936, the committee was brought under the Ministry of Education, where it functioned until its dissolution in 1961. Its responsibilities were then taken over by the Permanent Committee for Islamic and Coptic Monuments of the Egyptian Antiquities Organization, now known as the Supreme Council of Antiquities.
Hampikian, Nairi. "A Decisive Moment for the Survival of Historic Cairo". 2004. Cairo: Revitalising a Historic Metropolis. (Stefano Bianca and Philip Jodidio, eds.) Turin: Umberto Allemandi & C. for Aga Khan Trust for Culture, 209-219.
This article is presented in the last section of the three-part book, entitled "Future: The Way Forward".